Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

good things come in threes

Written while relaxing comfortably in bed and smelling my roommate's dinner...wishing that I could cook as great as she does.

Three days.  It's been three days since I last sat down to blog, and wow can I just say that I did not do that intentionally.  In fact, I try to make it a conscious effort to sit down at the end of each day to compile my thoughts so that in five months when I am complaining about something at school I can look back on my experiences studying and traveling through Europe.  So, my deepest apologies to you and myself, because it really is something that I enjoy doing.

Three Days.  In three days, I hate to break it to you, not much exciting stuff has happened.  Well, any day in Italy is somewhat exciting but not everything.  Sunday I slept in after my trip to Florence and went to the grocery store, leaving confident that I had successfully navigated my way through the little shop and got my groceries home no problem.  I made myself brunch and an instant cappuccino before sitting down to do work the rest of the day...and skype with my family for Father's Day of course.  Yesterday we had a full day at the IES Center, complete with a class in the morning, a cooking class and lunch with the Italian Language & Culture program students, and another class in the afternoon.  In cooking class I ate vegetables.  Yes, that's right I ate vegetables.  AND. I. LIKED. THEM.  Needless to say I am very proud of myself.  Then, today we had 2 classes at the Vatican Museums.  1 at the museum itself-which by the way is amazing-and another in the conservation and restoration labs, where we got to see artwork restoration in its prime.  Some of what we get to see with class is too cool, and definitely not the stuff you would get to see on a regular museum visit.  Oh yeah, and we saw the Sistine Chapel today.  It's everything you thought it would be. And more.  Complete with screaming police officers who yell at you to not take pictures or talk.  Seems somewhat counterproductive right?








Three Nights.  Last night, my roommate and I went to trattoria night, hosted by IES at a local restaurant.  We got to meet more of the other students at the center and enjoyed a delicious dinner with endless appetizers, 3 types of pasta, meat/fish skewers, and dessert.  It was a ton of fun and we were there for almost 3 hours!  Crazy how time flies when you're having fun.  But, the fun doesn't end there.  Tonight we are going with our Cities as Living Museums professor and some other IES students to the Pink Floyd Ballet at the Baths of Caracalla.  I have no clue what to expect, but from what I have heard it is amazing.  And as if that's not fun enough, tomorrow night we are going to see Tosca at the Opera House.  Again, I have no clue what to expect, but this opera is apparently one of the most famous in Italy and it is actually set in Rome!  I cannot wait to see Roman nightlife in action, as well as get dressed up and go out.


And as it turns out, as of today we only have three days left in Rome!  I am actually shocked because it has gone by way too fast.  Just as we were starting a routine, we are now getting ready to take our midterm quizzes and finish the reflection paper assignments before packing up and jetting off to Spain.  Of course, we still have time in there to go out for pizza and pasta one last time and squeeze in as much gelato as possible!  Luckily I've been able to see a ton of museums and monuments with class that it hasn't required much out-of-class time to go exploring.  Even though I love exploring Rome, it has been nice to have a little more downtime than Paris, especially being able to come home for lunch every day.

As for me, it's off to make something quick and easy for dinner before heading out to the ballet!  In the meantime, enjoy pictures of the places that actually allowed photography and my phone didn't lose in cyperspace.

Addio bella!


No comments:

Post a Comment