Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

I'm writing this instead of doing my paper.

Written while procrastinating on my midterm paper assignments...don't worry because they're relatively short but we're going out to the Opera tonight so there's that too.

CIAO.  Well, that's one of the last times I'll get to say my favorite Italian greeting on my blog since we are leaving in just a little over 36 hours for Spain!  What...where did the time go?  I know I say this all the time, but this program is literally f l y i n g by, as does everything when you're having fun.  I should be doing a million other things right now, such as study for my midterm quizzes (we have study guides though so they should be easy), writing my reflection papers (which are required to be concise), or packing my stuff (considering I have the other 2 things to do, this is a last resort).  But, I'm blogging.  Because what better way to procrastinate than talk about what I did for class today as a way to think about what I am doing for my first reflection paper.

Let me start off by saying how cool last night was.  In case you didn't know, we went to the opening night of the Pink Floyd Ballet at the Baths of Caracalla.  I've been to outdoor concerts before, but this venue (and the performance itself of course) was actually spectacular.  We went with our Cities as Living Museums professor and enjoyed watching the ballet.  While it was a little alternative and eclectic for my nature, I had fun getting to see a different, more elegant side of Roman nightlife.  What was really cool was that it was opening night, so there were people wearing fancy gala dresses and drinking champagne on the many red carpets set out.  Luckily, our seats were further back and out of the fancier section, so I felt just fine wearing my favorite green sundress and drinking my signature Coke Zero.


This morning we had a much earlier start than usual, and going to the ballet last night didn't really help with the whole sleep situation.  After leaving the ballet, we got a cab with help from our professor but the driver got lost and then proceeded to take the longest route possible back to our apartment.  Even though we got back pretty late, I was able to take a quick shower and throw myself in bed.  Not enough hours later, we found ourselves walking to the IES center on a relatively dreadful morning.  Dark skies and cool temperatures made Rome feel more home-y to me, because nothing says home quite like seeing a city when it is not at its best.  We met our same professor at the center at 8:20-the IES Center doesn't even open until 9-and took a cab to what may be my favorite museum here in Rome: Galleria Borghese.  This museum has it going on.  You are required to book a ticket in advance for a particular time slot and they limit the amount of visitors per time slot, give or take 400 people because of the size of the museum.  This meant that in a building with no A/C yet random space heaters (why in the middle of summer?), we did not feel the awful heat and humidity when thousands of bodies are cramped in a small space like the Vatican Museums.  We had a 2-hour visit and spent most of the time looking at the different frescoes and sculptures on the first floor.  Afterwards we walked with our professor through the little park in front of the museum towards the Italian version of a mini Champs-Elysees.  While by no means did it compare, we enjoyed seeing a new part of town before picking up a bus to head for Piazza Venezia.








We had a lot of time before our next class, despite it being 2 hours earlier today than normal, so we said good-bye to our professor and stopped at a nearby cafe for lunch.  Pasta carbonara.  My favorite.  With even more extra time after downing our lunches, we each had a tiny tiramisu before heading out to another even cooler museum in the center of Rome: Palazzo Valentini.  Somewhat off the beaten path, this may be one of the coolest experiences I have had in Rome.  I only say that because this is not your typical museum.  Basically, 30-something years ago some people decided they wanted to build a parking lot for a government building but when they broke ground, they realized there was an entire Roman villa below.  Typical Rome, right?  So, instead of constructing a parking lot they decided to use digital restoration techniques to create an alternative museum, complete with a 3-D light show and glass floors.  Easily one of the coolest things I have seen in my life, which (to nobody's surprise) ends in a gift shop.  I wish I could have taken pictures, but it was all enclosed in dark caves that used to comprise a house and it is also nearly impossible to take pictures of digital things.  So add this to your "must-see in Rome list" and make a reservation because only 3 tours a day are given in English!

As if you needed another picture of something I ate here.

Now, I think that it is time for me to break ground (haha get it...if not, then I must not be that funny) on my Museums and Cultural Heritage paper.  It shouldn't take me more than, say, 30 minutes but better to get it done now when it is still fresh in my head than wait, right?  Yes, mom I know what you're thinking.  Come this time tomorrow I will be finished with my midterm quizzes (cue silent cheers) and hopefully both papers.  With ample time to procrastinate work on them, I will be thinking of my Rome Top 10 list and what I should write for my IES blog.

Until then, it's back to the notebooks for me and off to the opera tonight!  Still wondering why my teacher who is giving us a quiz tomorrow at 10:30am is the one accompanying us...at least he is letting us come an hour later than usual.  Also, I should probably brush up on my Spanish for the next 2.5 weeks.  Oh well, so much to do, so little time.  Can't wait to see what happens next!

Addio bella!

No comments:

Post a Comment