Pages

Monday, June 8, 2015

Not all who wander are lost

Written while eating fruit from the little stand on the street and wondering how such cheap apples & pineapple can taste so good.

When I first heard this quote by J.R.R. Tolkein, I wasn't really sure what it meant.  I have always had an avid enthusiasm for traveling, but up until now the majority (if not all) of the trips that I have taken included family and/or friends.  While by no means is this a bad thing, it just provides you with a different perspective.  So when I applied for this study abroad program back in December, I became excited to start a new chapter in my life.  One where I was in charge of what I did, where I went, and who I went with.  Something completely within my hands.  And let me tell you, it sure has been worth it.

This morning we (grudgingly) had to wake up early for class...okay so maybe in the real world 7:15 isn't the earliest.  But, after a weekend of traveling and catching up on homework (a.k.a. staying up late to do the work we avoided doing), it was much harder than usual.  We met in the same courtyard we do every morning and hopped on a metro bound for the north side of town.  I am starting to think that there is a trend with my classmates in getting wrong or misguided directions from our professors.  When by 9:15 we hadn't seen or heard from our Cities as Living Museums professor, we took an alternative approach.  In college, if a professor doesn't show up to class within the first 15 minutes you can leave...okay so maybe we're still working on that in senate right now, but still.  When we called the professor (who by the way, gave us the wrong metro stop haha), she told us to wait for her at the Starbucks across the street from the station.  Considering none of us really had groceries and didn't eat breakfast because we were up so early, I'd say this was a positive.  When she finally met up with us, we began our class session for the day in Monmartre Village.  Monmartre is known in Paris as the artist's village, an area in the north of city home to famous painters both past and present.  We spent class looking at different homes and architectural styles in the neighborhood, and she pointed out different homes and studios along the way.  In particular, she showed us the hidden gems unbeknownst to the tourists who just spend their time visiting the Sacre-Couer.  Through its hilly winding roads and cobblestone streets, we made our way up to the church completed in 1874 with 1100s architecture.  Looking down from the bottom of the steps, you can see the entire city of Paris, which I am sure would look beautiful at night.  We took the public transit cable car down before going to a wealthier art village in town, just past the Champs-Elysses.











Once class ended, my classmates and I decided to visit Le Marais again so that we could get lunch at a popular tearoom and see the Victor Hugo House and Picasso Museum.  Well, this turned out to be a little adventure might I say.  Upon arriving to the tearoom (where we only wanted dessert), we were informed that they were only serving lunch until 3pm and we would have to come back later if we wanted tea and cake.  Okay, so we walked a little further to a boulangerie for formula lunches-a popular place it turns out, as the line was out onto the street when we left.  After stumbling through more cobblestone streets we reached the Hugo House only to find out that it, as well as all of the other museums in the area, were closed.  In Paris, if a place is open on a Sunday then it is closed on Monday and vice versa, and thus we found the same un-luckiness in attempting to go to the Picasso Museum.  Feeling struck out, we hopped on the metro back to the apartments still early in the afternoon.  I, on the other hand, was not feeling tired or frustrated.  Okay, yes it isn't great that our big plans for the day turned out to be a total bust.  But, I didn't want to sit around in my room all day on a beautiful Paris afternoon.  So instead, I got home, ate some chocolate from Belgium, changed dresses (because not shockingly it got colder after Versailles), and plopped myself back on the metro towards the city center.  I've never been a big fan of heights, and I am not the biggest fan of wind unless it is powering me on a sailboat.  But, today I did something that never crossed my mind before.  I decided to climb the Arc de Triomphe.  All I can say is wow...and thanks to IES for the student ID cards.  As a student, I got a free admission ticket to not only walk underneath the arc itself (above ground) but actually climb the 200-something stairs on either side and see the most s t u n n i n g view of Paris.  So, yes it was a little windy and high up, but I have never been so amazed.  Typically tourists prefer to climb the Eiffel Tower because, hey, that's a major part of Paris.  But, this was amazing.  Inside at the top there was a museum about some French military history, and when I climbed back down I saw a military processional in honor of the tomb of the unknown soldier.











The Arc coincidentally sits at the end of the Champs-Elysses, so I figured why not use it as an excuse to go shopping down the 5th Avenue of Paris?  I just happened to find myself walking into Laduree, achieving my goal of not only going back but getting more delicious macarons: chocolate, vanilla, strawberry candy, toffee, salted caramel & cherry blossom.  As it turns out, I totally ripped myself off last time getting the "gift box" special, so I ended up saving some euros just getting them in a paper bag.  Same taste right?  Right.  I then found myself wandering into the largest Sephora that I have ever seen.  I never knew this before, but Sephora is actually a French company and their stores are all over Paris.  Luckily I needed a couple of items, so I actually had en excuse to buy something on the Champs-Elysses.  How many times can you say that in your lifetime (unless you live in Paris...to which I might as well run away now and cry out of jealousy)?  After a stroll down each side of the street, I got back on the metro headed home when I decided that I really wanted to stop at...wait for it...The Eiffel Tower.  Okay, so yes it is a huge tourist trap and not really part of Paris's grand history, but it may happen to be my favorite building in the entire world.  Not joking.  What I loved about the ride over is that the metro from the Champs-Elysses to Tour Eiffel is actually above ground and gives a stunning view of the Seine River.  After getting off the metro, I walked around the park area near the tower.  While I am interested in going up and seeing the beauty that is Paris, I felt that I had already accomplished that by climbing the Arc de Triomphe just a little bit beforehand.  I also was not about to wait in the hundred or so people line to just take the stairs up to the second floor.  No.  So I found myself enjoying the view of the tower, taking endless pictures of its magnificent beauty in the ever-present sunshine.  After some time there, though, I decided it was time to head home and start my homework assignments for the week.


As I sit here at my desk, groceries sitting on my bed waiting to be put away and window open to the fresh air and sounds of the 15th arrondissement, I cannot help but think how much Tolkein's quote applies to what I did today.  While I am an independent person by nature, I found it incredibly rewarding to not only explore but also understand my way around the city that I have been so lucky to call my temporary home.  A normal day at school does not provide me with such opportunity, therefore I have to take as much of the city as I can in stride and allow myself to enjoy the experience.  Today I wandered the streets of Paris, and I can happily say that not once was I lost.  If that's not an incredible study abroad-or even life-experience, then I don't know what is.

Until next time, au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment